Put an End to
Stress and Relax at Home
always seems to find its way into our busy lives. Fortunately, there are many
ways to relax at home and most of them are free. Do you have a few minutes to
spare while the kids are asleep and the laundry is going through its spin
cycle? Here are ten tips to help you reduce your stress levels. To learn more
about these relaxation techniques and many more, visit
1. Wake up and smell the rosesÖ or jasmine, lavender, neroli or ylang ylang.
Aromatherapy is a great way to relax at home. Simply use a few drops into a
diffuser and let the fragrance uplift
your mood and reduce your level of
2. Take the time to breathe deeply. We often forget about our breathing and it
becomes shallow. Focusing on your breathing is a great way to relax,
particularly just before a stressful presentation or right in the middle of an
argument with someone.
3. Improve your ďchiĒ or energy flow in your home. Feng Shui is an ancient
method of rearranging your environment to improve your
health, wealth and overall life. A new
color on your walls or a large plant properly located could make a significant
difference on your stress levels.
4. Find the time to read a few pages every day. You donít have to read an
entire book in one sitting. If you commute to work by train or bus, take a book
with you. Instead of watching the late night news and getting bombarded with
negative and stressful images, pick up a book and your quality of sleep will
5. Try to adhere to a regular sleep schedule. Your circadian rhythm becomes
unbalanced when you travel through time zones or wake up at a different time.
If you are lucky enough to have a regular daytime schedule, try to wake up at
the same time on weekends. It will make your Monday mornings a lot easier and
give you a few more hours to get things done over the weekend.
6. Improve your
anti-oxidant intake with tea. Whether you
like black, oolong, green, white or herbal tea, you will benefit from drinking
it regularly. Try a cup of chamomile tea before going to bed if youíre having
7. Take up yoga. You donít need to start with complicated poses. Yoga is a
great way to improve your flexibility and tone your muscles. The sun salutation
is a wonderful series of exercises that can be done in the morning.
8. Create a private sanctuary that you can use as a home spa. It doesnít need
to be fancy. Simply clean your bathroom, add a few scented candles, play some
music in the background and enjoy an aromatherapy bath or an herbal wrap.
9. Be a kid again. If you work on a computer all day, take a few minutes to
improve your dexterity skills and hand/eye coordination by playing a few easy
10. Enjoy comfort food. There is a reason why comfort food makes you feel
good. The memories that are often attached to a particular type of pie, lasagna
or ice cream are comforting. While these foods arenít particularly healthy,
itís good to indulge occasionally.
Caroline Begin is the writer and webmaster for
She is a professional freelance writer, webmaster and
translator who creates original web content in English and French. To contact
Licensed Psychologist Ph.D. Candidate
(Health and Geriatric Psychologist)
Page on Google Plus
Diagnosis - DSM-IV
Diagnosis and Codes: In Alphabetical Order and Stress and